I typically shy away from ANY homemade cake recipe ~ I’ve tried SO many and they were… well… CRAP! My friend at Mel’s Kitchen Cafe is a genius! These are actually GOOD and are easy to make (( awesome ))! “I’m in love with this recipe!” ~~~ and can you say PORTION CONTROL = SELF CONTROL! :)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (7 1/2 ounces)
- 1 cup granulated sugar (7 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream, light or regular
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Make sure an oven rack is positioned in the middle of the oven. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl (or in the bowl of an electric stand mixer). Add the butter, sour cream, egg, egg yolks and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until the batter is smooth and creamy, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula and mix for a few more seconds, if needed, until no more dry pockets of flour remain. The batter will be thick – don’t be alarmed!
- Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups. Bake for 18-22 minutes (adding time, if needed) until the tops of the cupcakes spring back to the touch and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. As always, don’t overbake or the cupcakes will be dry.
- Gently lift out the cupcakes from the muffin tin onto a cooling rack to let cool completely. Frost as desired!
Used my own buttercream recipe and just a rose tip to ‘play around’… my family LOVES to come home when I have played in the kitchen like this! :)
…and if this doesn’t make you RUN to your kitchen to make these… just licking the screen won’t be the same! :) ~ Have fun!!